Focus: Climate change and Environment
There is a forum having this focus. Subscribe and share your ideas.
There are a number of events taking place in September 2015:
- September 21st – a community forum in Northampton on the Papal Encyclical.
- September 24th – a Northampton Watch Party of Pope Francis’ historical congressional address
- September 24th – an Amherst Watch Party of Pope Francis’ historical congressional address
- September 27th – area choirs singing and clergy preaching on climate
- October 4th – a community Harvesting Hope festival at Abundance Farm
Read minutes of this group’s meetings:
One item mentioned in the November 3 meeting was a “voluntary carbon tax.” A voluntary carbon tax is a donation in recognition of our own carbon use to some endeavor that aims to reduce greenhouse gases . We pledge to give either a specified amount or a selected percent of one or more of our personal carbon-use expenditures. On a regular basis (monthly, quarterly, annually), we calculate the amount of this pledge, decide on a use for the funds, and give/donate them to that use. Fifteen people in the Mount Toby Friends Meeting have formed a Voluntary Carbon Tax Witness group. The idea has been adopted by the Northampton Friends Meeting and some other Friends meetings and other groups.
You can learn more about this idea at a website started up to promote the idea: voluntarycarbontax.org/